Purchasing a jogging stroller is no walk in the park! It used to be that strollers were designed for gentle walks in the neighbourhood. Now, parents are jogging and even inline skating with the stroller at a quick clip. If you have a young child, and you or your partner jog, inline skate or power-walk to stay in shape, you have probably considered a jogging stroller for your family – and no doubt have realized that deciding on the best one can be a difficult decision. Here is help for you to choose one that best fits your lifestyle and budget.
1. Choose an aluminum framed stroller. Your choices will be strollers made with either metal tube frames or aluminum frames. You want your stroller to weigh less than 25 pounds. Metal tube frame strollers are much heavier than those made with an aluminum frame. Choosing an aluminum frame provides you with a lighter, easier to push stroller, and they are also longer lasting, stronger and more resistant to rust and corrosion.
2. 16 inch wheels. A jogging stroller has three large wheels – one in front and two in back. They achieve a smooth ride for passenger and are easy to push for jogger by reducing rolling resistance. 16 inch air-filled wheels provide less rolling resistance and therefore a smoother ride and push.
3. Comfort for baby. You want your baby to be as comfortable as possible. The seat should be padded and made of a lightweight, breathable fabric. During your jog your baby may decide to take a nap. Look for a stroller that reclines by at least 25%.
4. Sun canopy. Everyone is now conscious of the destructive nature of the sun`s rays, and when out exercising you want to make sure that your son or daughter is fully protected. Each jogging stroller that you consider will have a sun canopy – but some will do a better job than others in providing protection from the sun. For maximum coverage for your baby make sure that the stroller you choose has a sun canopy that rotates 360 degrees to block the sun`s rays no matter which direction your run takes you.
5. Keep your baby safe. When making your choice about any baby equipment safety is always the number 1 consideration. Jogging strollers are built for speed – so you want to make sure that your stroller will stop when you want it to. The most reliable method for stopping a stroller when it is on the move is a hand brake – much the same as those used on high-end bicycles. Your stroller should also have a foot brake for when the stroller is parked. Make sure that your child is safe and secure in their seat. Choose a stroller that employs a five point harness system. They are the safest and are easy to use.
6. Compact for storage. It should be easy to fold by one person with very little effort. If you plan on putting it into your car`s trunk its folded dimensions should be no greater than 45 in. x 25 in. x 18 in. To make it fold even smaller look for wheels that easily can be removed with a push of a button.
7. If people of different heights will be jogging with the stroller make sure that the handlebar height is adjustable. If you or your partner both plan on using the stroller and if one of you is noticably taller than the other you want to be sure that the stroller handlebars adjust in height so that you will both be comfortable when using the stroller. Strollers with this feature will have a button in the handlebar making this adjustment easy – even on the fly.
8. Make sure that it works for your baby as they grow. Babies come in all sizes and shapes – isn`t that great. Your stroller is an investment – and you want to get as much use from it as possible. A child that measures under 25 in. when seated should be able to sit in the stroller, and a child eighty pounds or less should be safely be able to use the stroller. Look for a stroller that provides good height and weight capacity.
9. Make sure the manufacturer and retailer stand behind their product. You should expect to have many years of enjoyment from your stroller for your family. Shop for a stroller that provides a solid long term warranty on the frame (5 years is good) and at least a 1 year warranty on the seat material. And when you purchase your stroller make sure that you have at least 30 days to try it out – if it isn`t all that you had expected it to be – make sure that you can return it for a refund.
10. They range in price. Make sure it fits within your budget. You can purchase a good jogging stroller for as little as $280 and you can pay over $1,000. Sometimes you are paying for the `brand name`. Select your stroller based on your family`s needs and the features that are important to you. Remember, that it is a multi year investment in your child`s health and your family`s happiness. If you are able to afford $280 a jogging stroller can become an important part of your life.
Use this list of ten things to do to list which stroller features are most important to your family. Then use your list to help you to purchase the stroller that best meets your needs.